Monday, April 6, 2015

Sail On Sydney Lanier


The Sydney Lanier Bridge
"How many more pictures are you going to take?" My husband's tone was a mix of frustration and tease.  Okay, so I have this thing about the Sydney Lanier.  It's not just any old bridge, to me.

It's a tall ship announcing its arrival on the inter coastal waterway. It gives me goosebumps. You know, like the Statue of Liberty in the New York harbor - "Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor..." Majestic in its own right.

It was 1999 when we crossed the original Sydney Lanier bridge.  My husband had taken a job at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC).  We were moving to Brunswick, Georgia from Phoenix, Arizona.  The bridge was like a gauge that said 'you have successfully reached the east coast!"

In 2001,  the bridge was rebuilt to accommodate the growing area.  Even after all these years, the feeling of awe has not faded.  I feel like I'm on top of the world when I'm at its crest.

"I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles, oh yeah."


It wasn't until I started working in the school system that I really connected on a deeper level with Sydney Lanier.  I happened to be perusing one of the literature books when I came upon a poem by none other than Mr. Lanier, himself titled, "The Marshes of Glynn."




"By a world of marsh that borders a world of sea.
  Sinuous southward and sinuous northward the shimmering band
  Of the sand-beach fastens the fringe of the marsh to the folds of the land."




"Oh, what is abroad in the marsh and the terminal sea?
Somehow my soul seems suddenly free
From the weighing of fate and the sad discussion of sin,
By the length and the breadth and the sweep of the marshes of Glynn."


Mr. Lanier had been a soldier in the Civil War.  It was during that time he contracted tuberculosis. After returning to civilian life, he turned to poetry in order to allay the suffering of his illness.  It was the beauty of the salt water marshes and the surrounding area of the Golden Isles that gave him solace.

The sails are set


Every view is a good view.  Sydney Lanier, you will be sorely missed.


4 comments:

  1. omylovely,

    Good morning. I have just learned something new, as I have never heard of the majestic Sydney Lanier bridge, let alone of Sydney, himself.
    Thank you for resurrecting him for me. Wow!!

    He's smiling---and such a stunning work of architecture in his name, besides! Hats off to the designers and dreamers of such a functional piece of steel.

    "It's a messed up world, but I love it anyway..."
    Greg Brown

    I'm going to plant some flowers in your name this year—what kind would you like to be
    this year?

    kisses + wishes,
    teri
    Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, you do a person's heart good with a capital G! Imagine, flowers in my honor. That's a difficult one. I am far from delicate, so how about something along those lines as a counter balance? Can't wait to see how I've been interpreted. You are appreciated!!

      Delete
  2. Nice post. It makes me want to see that side of Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I love about Georgia is its beauty, regardless of what direction you go. I suppose the fact that I love it here puts an added degree of beauty to the area.

      Delete