Monday, June 15, 2015

The Egg on the Sidewalk





Not far from where I used to live (we just sold our house), there is an inviting manmade lake not far from the county’s sports complex.  A mile long sidewalk wraps around the lake.  Not only is it a great place to work up a sweat, it’s a great place to observe different types of birds, mostly Canada geese, ducks, and every so often, other water fowl.

One particular morning, as I was into my second mile, I spotted a round, white object on the walkway, up ahead.  As I got closer, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.



My approach didn’t seem to disturb the few Canada geese and ducks that were nearby.  Some walked around the egg, as though they were shoppers in Wal-Mart, circumventing a pile of clothing that had fallen off nearby shelf. 

At first, I didn’t know what to make of it.  I joined their circle and stood, staring in silence with them.  Finally, I couldn’t keep my peace.

“Which one of you did this?” I sternly asked.  The birds just looked around.  One practiced a single leg stand, but not a single sound from any of them. 

Looking towards the domestic ducks, I asked,  “Is this yours?”  Since I’m not an expert enough to determine whether the egg was a domestic duck egg or a Canada goose egg, I thought it was best to interrogate both parties.

I repeated.  “Does this belong to any of you?” I was sure both sides would have been pointing a wing to the other group. 

Sadly, there was no one willing to claim the offense.  Not one honk on its behalf.

 I bent down and gently picked up the abandoned egg and placed it on the grass alongside the walk.


It deserved that much.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha. This reminds me of your sheep story (which I love so much.) Gorgeous pictures and endearing and funny prose. This made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to write this. No doubt, I made it harder than it was. I can't believe you remember the sheep story. I can't even remember it. It means a lot to have you in the cheering section.

      Delete
    2. Awe I could see a picture book where you place it in the wrong nest and when it hatches its a baby aligator that thinks its bird lol

      Delete