Sunday, October 4, 2015

Keys and Unicorns From Heaven

Today, during church, it was discovered that one of the members had lost the key to his car.  As the service closed, and pastor prayed, he added an addendum: a special request for the key to be found.  He asked if anyone could possibly stay and search,  that it would be appreciated.  

The search was on.  We looked under tables, behind the coffee machine, outside in the grass, in the garbage can, and any where else we could think of.  "Maybe one of the kids picked it up thinking it was a toy." Nothing was beyond consideration. All the man's wife could remember is she had it in her hand when she was making her husband tea.  Beyond that, she had no recollection.

In the meantime, the pastor's nine year old son (who was recently adopted from China) asked in his best English if the key had been found.  I nodded my head, "no", that we were still looking.  He looked up at me with a smile in his brown eyes, "Jesus can find them!" I nodded, "Yes.  He can." I almost needed Hudson's simple faith to support my seed of doubt.

Verily, I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.   (Luke 18:17, KJV)


"We've got 'em!" shouted several men from outside.  They had been found in the last trash bag that had been taken out before service began.  Several "Amens" could be heard amidst the excitement.

During the ladies' Sunday School lesson, we were discussing how God's ear is always open to His children.   Unlike making telephone calls where you have to push #1 for English, #3 for an account balance, #5 to hear the menu, again, or #0 for a real person, we can go directly to the Lord.  There is never a wait (not even a second), and definitely no busy signal.


This brought another situation regarding a child's prayer to mind. 



Every now and then, my daughter in law calls me to share her morning prayer time with the children.  On one occasion, she asked her three year old daughter, Nola who and what she wanted to pray for. "I want to pray for Nana," referring to me (warm fuzzies).   Quickly, adding, "And, I want to pray for unicorns.  Won't that be fun?" By now, my daughter in law and I were laughing.  My response was the normal, "Isn't that cute?"


It was several months later in a conversation that my daughter in law made a comment regarding that particular conversation.  A box came in the mail for Nola several days after she had made her prayer request.  You know what was in it? At least several dozen miniature unicorns, given to her by a great aunt.  It seems her granddaughter no longer played with them.  


There are so many lessons that could be drawn from these two situations.  In both cases, God answered prayer, just at different times.  The keys were found, immediately.  The unicorns were delivered a little later.  He provides the necessities and he give us things to delight in. 


Many may chalk this up to coincidence.  For those of us who know the Lord, we know otherwise.  Above all, when the seeds of doubt try to take root in my prayer life, all I need to do is reflect on the prayers of these precious little children.  





No comments:

Post a Comment