Monday, October 5, 2015

Those Were The Days, My Friend



While going through some old papers, I came across this poem.  I wrote it for one of my English courses while attending the University of Maryland's Asian Division in Okinawa, Japan.

During our tour, my husband was away on temporary duty (TDY) for weeks at a time.  I suppose I was a lot like Desdemona with Othello, savoring all my husband's stories when he returned.

I did make a few minor changes, and played around with the last line of each stanza continuing as a new thought.



TDY


The lifeless flowers speak of your absence,
As does your empty chair, during meals.
Having the whole bed to myself is not really 
What I want is to have you back by my side.

This morning, I poured a cup of black coffee,
Forgetting you were gone. I added cream and sugar,
 Then, slowly stirred.  I wondered where 
You were in another country without me. 

I drive the car to the commissary.
You ride a tuc-tuc to the dusty market place. 
 Old acquaintances smile and wave.  Nothing
Changes are small and few while you're gone.

Your mouth waters for a bowl of kowpot. 
The blind woman and her children beg 
On the corner like dogs at your feet
Looking for more letters in the mail. 

Brightly colored awnings beckon you like 
Women with fair tongues, calling you to 
Come for a closer look at the wares.  Your 
Eyes are on something more valuable.  


Time will pass and you will soon be home.  
I will make coffee while you unpack your bags, and
Proudly display the gifts you bought.  For a few
More months to keep you close.




Those Were The Days, My Friend.
We Thought They'd Never End.




4 comments:

  1. Wow. I love this, especially the fifth stanza. That is such a knockout of an image about awnings/fair tongues/wares. Loved too the tuc-tuc, the kowpot, all of it. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your taking the time to read and comment, Tonia. You have always been a strong supporter. Do you think it meets my Sheep story?

      Delete
  2. Oh, I really like this. I'm glad Tonia posted a link, because it's very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like this. I'm glad Tonia posted a link, because it's very poignant.

    ReplyDelete